Need to pay a ticket. Now it's easier than ever, click here trafficpayment.com.
_Town of Luther Easter Egg Hunt
Saturday, April 4, 2015
Sponsored by Luther Insurance Agency
Easter Bunny will be available for pictures, please bring your own camera for pictures
Welcome to Luther
Thank you for visiting the Town of Luther Website.
Luther is a small country community not far from Oklahoma City, Edmond and Tulsa.
Luther has it's own public school system, home to the Luther Lions grades Pre-K thru 12. Please visit the Luther Public School website at http://www.LutherLions.org
You can also check out out youth sports association at http://http:LutherYouthSports.com
History & Location
Luther is located in far northeastern Oklahoma County on historic Route 66, approximately 30 miles east of Oklahoma City. "As once a part of the Kickpoo Reservation, the town of Luther has quite a unique history. Luther first started as Garnettville O.T. which was established in 1892. The name changed again when railroad developer and prominent Oklahoma City industrialist, C.G. Jones named the town Luther in honor of his son Luther Jones" (http://www.mls.lib.ok.us/mls/mls_library/lu.htm). Railroad connections on the "Katy" and the Frisco lines and agriculture provided the economic base Luther needed to thrive. In 1905 Luther incorporated, and by statehood Luther was home to over 400 people.
There are three locations in Luther located on the National Registry of Historical Places: Engles Dry Goods Store (NR 80003280), Booher Archeological Site (NR 79003641), and the Threatt Filling Station (NR 95000038).
“In 1916 Booker T. Washington High School for African Americans opened in Luther. The facility expanded in 1922. Destroyed by fire in December 1930, the school building was rebuilt in 1931. Heralded as one of the premier high schools for blacks in the United States, its graduates were accepted at African American colleges across the country (http://digital.library.okstate.edu/encyclopedia/entries/L/LU006.html).” One of the school’s graduates, the late Elizabeth Hilton-Threatt, was one of the first five African Americans to enroll at the University of Central Oklahoma. (Click here to listen to an interview with Mrs. Threatt.)
By the 1920s, Luther boasted several churches, two doctors, multiple general stores, two banks, a post office, a newspaper, a telephone connection, and a Western Union. In 1928, U.S. Highway 66 was opened from Los Angeles, California, to Chicago, Illinois, passing through the northern side of Luther. Unfortunately, events such as the Great Depression and the decline of the railroads halted progress in many rural Oklahoma towns. Farm families moved to urban areas in search of work. Thriving rural communities such as Luther floundered. This struggle would be the case for many rural Oklahoma communities for decades following the 1930s.
However, today is a new era. Residents of metropolitan areas experiencing the negative effects of overpopulation and industrialization are seeking rural living once again. Luther offers rural living with all of its benefits - quiet neighborhoods, small schools, and clean air, while being only twenty minutes from the comforts of urban life.
The governing body of the Town of Luther consists of a Board of Trustees. The five member Board is elected at large. The Trustees of the Board elect from among themselves a Chief Executive Officer who presides over the Board and also serves as Mayor of the town. The Board exercises both executive and legislative functions. The following individuals serve as the current Board of Trustees for the Town of Luther:
Mayor – Birlene Langley
Trustee – Richard Smith
Trustee – Carolyn Lawson
Trustee - Lea Ann Jackson
Trustee - Cecilia Taft
Regular Board meetings are conducted the second Tuesday of each month. Meeting agendas are posted outside Town Hall for public viewing. Meeting agendas and minutes can also be viewed here.
Other town officials are the Clerk/Treasurer , the Chief of Police, and the Fire Chief. The Clerk/Treasurer for the Town of Luther is elected by the town, while the Chief of Police and Fire Chief are appointed by the Board of Trustees.